Vincent Memorial Scots down Red Hawks in final league match-up


CALEXICO– Wrapping up the 2017 football season, the Vincent Memorial Scots hosted the Mountain Empire Red Hawks on November 3, where the Scots won their final conference match up 41-7, to complete their undefeated league record of 3-0.

Both teams struggled during the first quarter to drive down the field, until the Scots’ Eduardo Valenzuela (#12) came to the line of scrimmage, late in the first quarter. Valenzuela started the drive handing off the pigskin to halfback Javier Briseno (#6) for a small gain. On the following play, Valenzuela set up for pass to Hernan Olivas (#8) for a big gain downfield. The Scots finished the drive with a run into the end zone, bringing the score to 7-0, putting points on the board as the first quarter ended.

The Red Hawks moved downfield hoping to tie the game. Starting off the drive, quarterback Gabriel Hydorn (#8) led his team into enemy territory. Once in scoring position, Hydorn took the snap for a quarterback-keeper rushing into the end zone. With the game tied at seven, the Scots looked for a chance to score before the halftime bell rang.

The Scots came took possession with plenty of time still on the clock. QB Valenzuela handed the ball to Briseno for a small pick up on the play. The Scots continued to press forward for a touchdown pass to wide-receiver Juan Pablo Ruiz (#15), who took it to the house. The Scots went into halftime up by seven, with a score of 14-7.

The Scots came to receive the ball in the third quarter hoping to preserve their lead over the Red Hawks.

Starting in their own backfield, Valenzuela threw to wide-receiver Andres Bryan (#2), bringing the Scots to the 40-yard-line. One the next play, Valenzuela handed the ball to Briseno for a first-down, energizing the drive. Valenzuela completed the drive in the end zone, making the score a two touch-down spread over the Red Hawks.

Moving through the remainder of the quarter, the Red Hawks failed to jumpstart their offensive game, sending the clock into the fourth quarter with a score of 21-7.

The Scots took advantage and opened up their rushing and passing offensive even further, putting up 20 more points, while holding the Red Hawks at seven. With this win, the Scots finished undefeated in league play, and an overall record of 8-2.

Proceeding this win, the Vincent Memorial Scots will move on to face Southwest San Diego at home, on November 10, for their first division five playoff math-up of the season.