El Centro, CA â€“ The Avoid the 8 DUI Task Force is deploying officers this holiday weekend at a DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint and DUI Saturation Patrols countywide to arrest impaired drivers and to keep the public aware of the dangers of driving while impaired by alcohol and drugs.
The start of the summer season has arrived, along with many college and high school graduations, but if history repeatsâ€¦ drunk or drugged driving crashes will rise when reckless drivers take to the roadways impaired.Â Friends and families will gather for celebrations and to start the summer season, often with alcohol this 3-day weekend.Â Law enforcement is reminding everyone to make plans now for those weekend trips and partying.Â Make sure to use a â€˜Designated Sober Driverâ€™ to prevent arrest or worse, a deadly driving tragedy.
Law enforcement throughout the region, beginning Friday night, will deploy DUI/Drivers License checkpoint in the city of Imperial with special DUI Saturation Patrols deploying in the city of Imperial.Â Additional local DUI Saturation Patrols will be out on Saturday and Sunday nights throughout the county.Â The California Highway Patrol is deploying all available officers Memorial Day weekend onto freeways and county roads as part of their Maximum Enforcement Period.
Law enforcement region-wide is asking for everyoneâ€™s support this holiday weekend and all summer long:
- Plan ahead.Â Arrange rides home for your friends, family, co-workers and yourself before the drinking begins.
- Those hosting celebrations and servers must limit drinks to your guests or patrons.Â Donâ€™t serve more than one or two over several hours.
- Identify and provide free non-alcoholic drinks to the Designated Sober Driver.Â For tasty drink recipes, visit the DDrinkMixologyCenter at www.facebook.com/CaliforniaOTS.
- Cut back on the amount of drinks you plan to bring to the party â€“ and provide plenty of food.
- If you see dangerous driving, Report Drunk Drivers â€“ Call 9-1-1!
Funding for the Avoid DUI Task Force is by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.Â The Avoid Task Force will deploy checkpoints and DUI patrols next during the Independence Day Holiday and for the summer August/Labor Day DUI Mobilization.