EL CENTRO – IID is initiating its 2013 On-Farm Efficiency Conservation Program and will accept proposals from landowners and tenants until noon, December 5, 2012. The Programâ€™s goal is to incentivize agricultural water customers to conserve 16,000 to 20,000 acre-feet in 2013 by implementing water use efficiency improvement projects on their farms.
Participants will be paid $285 per acre-foot of delivered water reduction, verified against historical deliveries specific to each field and crop. This following outline is a general description of the program, application deadline and contact information
To further IIDâ€™s commitment to efficient water use by contracting with water customers to achieve efficiency conservation goals. Conserved water may have a variety of uses, including meeting IIDâ€™s water transfer obligations under the Quantification Settlement Agreement and fulfilling IIDâ€™s inadvertent overrun payback obligations.
Key Program Concepts
- Voluntary, incentive-based program will pay participants a flat rate per acre-foot conserved to grow crops with reduced deliveries.
- Applicants must propose implementation of conservation measures from a district-provided list or propose their own innovative measures.
- Applicants must propose a delivery reduction volume, contract duration, and cropping plan for district consideration.
- Proposals will be accepted for single crop seasons or for the entire calendar year.
- IID staff will consult with applicants to find suitable conservation measures and volumes.
- A district-landowner participant agreement is being finalized along with program administration guidelines. A decision support system has also been developed to assist staff with program administration.
- Delivery reductions will be calculated relative to post-season, weather-corrected, crop- and field-specific, historical baselines where adequate delivery history is available within the last 10 years.
- When adequate history does not exist for a proposed crop and field, the fieldâ€™s performance with a different crop and the cropâ€™s performance on other fields of the same soil type will be used to estimate a baseline.
- Applicants will have the opportunity to review and recommend adjustments to delivery histories during an optional staff consultation.
- Payments will be based on delivery reduction volume, i.e. payment per acre-foot of conserved water.
- The IID Board of Directors set the payment rate for 2013 at $285 per acre-foot.
- Participants will be allowed to conserve and be paid for 20% more or 20% less than the contracted amount.
- IID will monitor conservation performance throughout the term of the contract. At 50% of the contract term, IID will make payment of up to 25% of the minimum contract value. Final payment will be made after verification of conservation following the contract term.
- Proposals will only be accepted for whole fields with an irrigated area of at least 20 acres.
- All fields served by the same delivery gate must be enrolled or their deliveries measured individually.
- Minimum annual or seasonal Contracted Delivered Water Reduction Volume is 20 acre-feet.
- Charges for delivered water and water availability per IID Regulation No. 11 must not be delinquent.
- IID will review proposals and notify any applicants submitting deficient applications.
- Eligible proposals will be evaluated to determine baselines; applicants will be notified of baseline calculation results and given an opportunity to consult with IID to correct erroneous records. Either the applicant or IID may appeal to the Technical Review Committee (consisting of IID staff, local growers, and outside consultants) regarding the baseline consultation results.
- Applicants may choose to execute a contract with IID to conserve the specified water volume for the requested contract term.
- If more proposals are received than necessary to meet the conservation goal, IID may sort the proposals in bins based on total conservation volume and randomly select from within each bin.
- If fewer proposals are received than necessary to yield the required amount of water, IID may choose to complete a second solicitation.
- Landowners may contract directly with IID and thus take sole responsibility for fulfilling contract obligations. Alternatively, tenants may take primary responsibility with written landowner consent. Further program details, including sample contracts, will be made available in the coming weeks.
- Should IID implement an Equitable Distribution Program during any portion of the contract term, the participant shall be responsible for conveying to IID the contracted delivery water reduction prior to receiving the remaining allotment.
- A complete and up-to-date water card is required for each participating field.
Tentative Schedule(subject to change)
November 13, 2012 (Tuesday) Proposal solicitation period begins. As proposals are received, IID will begin evaluating proposed baselines and conservation measures.
December 5, 2012 (Wednesday) All proposals must be received by the IID Water Managerâ€™s office no later than noon (12:00 p.m.).
January 2, 2013 (Wednesday) IID will begin offering contracts to those landowners and/or tenants who satisfy the criteria above. Contracts must be completed, signed, and received by the IID Water Managerâ€™s office within 3 weeks of postmarked issuance date. As contracts are declined or expire, additional contracts will be issued until conservation goal is met.
Contact Information 2013 On-Farm Efficiency Conservation Program proposal forms and related documents are available at all IID Water Division offices or can be downloaded online.
Questions regarding the On-Farm Efficiency Conservation Program should be directed to the On-Farm Conservation Team at (760) 339-9777 or email@example.com.
Completed applications must be received by mail, fax, or email by noon, December 5, 2012 to: Mail On-Farm Program PO Box 937 Imperial, CA 92251
Fax 760-339-9769 Attn: On-Farm Program
|Forms / Downloads|
|Solicitation Letter 11-06-2012 [PDF]|
|Program Summary 11-6-2012 [PDF]|
|Conservation Measure Proposal Form (IID-424 rev. 20121106e) [PDF]|
|Applicant Information Form (IID-429 rev. 20121106e) [PDF]|