Signing up ahead of time is unnecessary – just show up at the designated time and location, dress warmly; bring binoculars and a watch.
Photo submitted by San Bernardino National Forest
SAN BERNARDINO – Volunteers are needed to help count bald eagles for the 35th season in the annual winter bald eagle counts in and near the San Bernardino and San Jacinto Mountains on Dec. 21, Jan. 11, Feb. 8, and March 8.
Concurrent bald eagle counts are held at Big Bear Lake, Lake Arrowhead, Lake Silverwood, Lake Perris, and Lake Hemet. Volunteers are stationed at vantage points around the lakes, where they watch for bald eagles during a one-hour period on the count mornings. Volunteers record their observations on maps and data sheets.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to catch a glimpse of our breath-taking national symbol,” read a news release from the U.S. Forest Service.
Brief orientations are conducted prior to the count so volunteers know where to go and what to do.
“Through this method, the agencies and land managers have learned a lot about which areas are important to eagles and how the populations are doing. But we can’t do it without a lot of volunteers – we need their eyes to help us look,” said Forest Service biologist Robin Eliason.
No experience needed to participate in the counts. Signing up ahead of time is unnecessary – just show up at the designated time and location, dress warmly; bring binoculars and a watch.
* Big Bear Lake area volunteers will meet at 8 a.m. at the Forest Service’s Big Bear Discovery Center on North Shore Drive for orientation. Contact Drew Farr (email@example.com 909-382-2816) for more information. Please call 909-382-2832 for cancellation due to winter weather conditions – an outgoing message will be left by 6:30 a.m. on the morning of the count if it has to be cancelled. Contact the Discovery Center (909-382-2790) for information about Eagle Celebrations. There will also be a free slideshow about bald eagles at 11 a.m.
* Lake Arrowhead/Lake Gregory volunteers will meet at 8 a.m. at the Skyforest Ranger Station for orientation. Contact Drew Farr (dpfarror 909-382-2816) for more information. Please call 909-382-2832 for cancellation due to winter weather conditions – an outgoing message will be left by 6:30 a.m. on the morning of the count if it has to be cancelled.
* Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area volunteers should plan to meet at the Visitor Center at 8 a.m. for orientation. Contact Kathy Williams or Mark Wright for more information about volunteering or taking an eagle tour (760-389-2303 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
* Lake Hemet volunteers should plan on meeting at the Lake Hemet Grocery Store at 8:30 a.m. for orientation. Contact Anne Poopatanapong (email@example.com 909-382-2935) for more information.
* Lake Perris State Recreation Area volunteers should plan to meet at the Lake Perris Regional Indian Museum at 8 a.m. for orientation. Contact the office for more information at 951-940-5600.
See websites for additional information about the San Bernardino National Forest (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/) and the California State Recreation Areas (www.parks.ca.gov).