EL CENTRO â€” The Imperial Valley Vegetable Growers Association announced the recipients of its Imperial Valley Produce Scholarships, as well as the three other significant agriculture related scholarships.
The purpose of these scholarships is to assist students who wish to launch or continue their studies in agricultural related majors, and is only awarded to Imperial Valley students attending a four year college who maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or above.
The following Imperial Valley students will receive an Imperial Valley Produce Scholarship
- Alex Strobel â€“ Southwest High School
- Tiffani Canez â€“ Central Union High School
- Hunter Singh â€“ Brawley Union High School
- Andrea Anavisca â€“ Brawley Union High School
- Mason Mange â€“ Holtville High School
- Briza Saldivar â€“ Calexico High School
- Anahi Ochoa â€“ Calipatria High School
- Jaycie Cruz â€“ originally from Brawley Union High School, now attending New Mexico State University
- John Brooks Hamby â€“ originally from Brawley Union High School, now attending Sanford University
- Connor Trimm â€“ originally from Brawley Union High School, now attending Cal-Poly, San Luis Obispo
- Brooke Bradshaw â€“ originally from Holtville High School, now attending Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
- Carlos Gomez â€“ originally from Imperial High School, now attending Cal-Poly, Pomona
The funds for the Produce Scholarship were raised this year by the Imperial Valley Vegetable Growers Association from donations to the scholarship fund from Clayton, Inc. Five Crowns Marketing, Keithly-William Seeds, Klicka-Parker Insurance, Rain for Rent, Tyler Insurance Services, TS & L Seed, Wells Fargo, and Western Growers Association.
Joshua Klockmann was the recipient of the Farm Credit Services Southwest S.T.A.R.T. Scholarship. This is the third year that IVVGA has managed this scholarship award on behalf of Farm Credit Services Southwest.
Brooke Bradshaw also received for the second time the Philip Vessey Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship was created in memory of the son of Jon Vessey and is awarded based on the same requisites as the other scholarships and with the additional proviso that the recipient has attended Holtville High School.
The Ed McGrew Scholarship is awarded to Conner Trimm, his second time to receive this scholarship. The McGrew Scholarship, created by IVVGA to honor founding member and still advisory board member Ed McGrew, is also awarded based on the same criterion and with the additional requirement that the student attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.Â Mr. McGrew is a graduate of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.