So much for the leftâ€™s â€œconsenting adultsâ€ rhetoric on sex.
Forever the consummate conservationists, our self-described â€œprogressiveâ€ friends at the ACLU, MSNBC and elsewhere have been ramping-up efforts to downsize from â€œconsenting adultsâ€ to merely â€œconsentingâ€ â€“ a far less cumbersome qualifier in the noble struggle for unrestrained sexual license.
Tolerating â€œintergenerational romanceâ€ for â€œminor-attractedâ€ adults is all the rage these days.
Ever hear of Kaitlyn Hunt? Over the past year or so this poor, misunderstood lesbian womanâ€™s â€œanti-gay persecutionâ€ has become a cause cÃ©lÃ¨bre among â€œgay rightsâ€ activists and other left-wing purveyors of perversion.
Despite mass rallies and online petitions signed by hundreds-of-thousands of the uber-â€tolerant,â€ the clearly â€œhomophobicâ€ Florida criminal justice system has, nonetheless, convicted Ms. Hunt of multiple felonies for sexually assaulting â€“ repeatedly â€“ a 14-year-old girl.
Oh, sure, her minor victim allegedly â€œconsentedâ€ to what the â€œFree Kateâ€ crowd has portrayed as a harmless tryst â€“ but, of course, by law children below the age of consent cannot consent to sex with adults. Period.
Still, the â€œprogressiveâ€ establishment evidently felt that, for whatever reason, this was their hill to die on â€“ this was the case that might help them realize the historical â€œgay rightsâ€ goal of rolling-back most, if not all, age of consent laws â€“ statutes designed to protect children from adult sexual predators like, well, Kate.
Veteran journalist Robert Stacy McCain has covered the Hunt case extensively. In a recent piece for the American Spectator headlined â€œKaitlyn Hunt is guilty and, yes, there is a movement to â€˜normalize pedophilia,â€™â€ McCain writes: â€œKaitlyn Hunt is a criminal. We can state that as a Neutral Objective Fact, now that the 19-year-old former cheerleader has pleaded â€˜no contestâ€™ to multiple felonies related to her sexual affair with a minor. What remains is the question of what her plea in a Florida courtroom Thursday means for what Rush Limbaugh has called the movement to â€˜normalize pedophilia.â€â€˜
Hereâ€™s the answer: There is no question. There is categorically a movement to normalize pedophilia. Iâ€™ve witnessed it firsthand and, despite â€œprogressiveâ€ protestations to the contrary, the â€œpedophile rightsâ€ movement is inexorably linked to the so-called â€œgay rightsâ€ movement.
Two years ago I â€“ along with the venerable child advocate Dr. Judith Reisman â€“ attended a Maryland conference hosted by the pedophile group B4U-ACT. Around 50 individuals were in attendance, including a number of admitted pedophiles (or â€œminor-attracted persons,â€ as they euphemistically prefer).
Also present were a few self-described â€œgay activistsâ€ and several supportive mental-health professionals. World renowned â€œsexologistâ€ Dr. Fred Berlin of Johns Hopkins University gave the keynote address, opening with: â€œI want to completely support the goal of B4U-ACT.â€
Here are some highlights from the conference:
- Pedophiles are â€œunfairly stigmatized and demonizedâ€ by society.â€œWe are not required to interfere with or inhibit our childâ€™s sexuality.â€â€œ
- Children are not inherently unable to consentâ€ to sex with an adult.
- An adultâ€™s desire to have sex with children is â€œnormative.â€
- â€œThese things are not black and white; there are various shades of gray.â€
- A consensus belief by both speakers and pedophiles in attendance was that, because it vilifies MAPs, pedophilia should be removed as a mental disorder from the American Psychiatric Associationâ€™s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, in the same manner homosexuality was removed in 1973.
- Dr. Fred Berlin acknowledged that it was political activism, similar to the incremental strategy witnessed at the conference, rather than a scientific calculus that successfully led to the declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder: The reason â€œhomosexuality was taken out of DSM is that people didnâ€™t want the government in the bedroom,â€ he said.
- The DSM ignores that pedophiles â€œhave feelings of love and romance for childrenâ€ in the same way adults love one another.
- The DSM should â€œfocus on the needsâ€ of the pedophile, and should have â€œa minimal focus on social control,â€ rather than obsessing about the â€œneed to protect children.â€
- Self-described â€œgay activistâ€ and speaker Jacob Breslow said that children can properly be â€œthe object of our attraction.â€ He further objectified children, suggesting that pedophiles neednâ€™t gain consent from a child to have sex with â€œitâ€ any more than we need consent from a shoe to wear it. He then used graphic, slang language to favorably describe the act of climaxing (ejaculating) â€œon or withâ€ a child. No one in attendance objected to this explicit depiction of child sexual assault. There was even laughter.
You may think that such abject evil simply represents the fringe of todayâ€™s sexual â€œprogressivism.â€ It doesnâ€™t. It represents the honest.
Consider, for instance, that during Obamaâ€™s first term, the official website for the Department of Health and Human Services linked to â€œparenting tipsâ€ that referenced children as â€œsexual beingsâ€ and suggested that they should experiment with homosexuality and masturbation.
You may also recall that Mr. Obama appointed Kevin Jennings, founder of the â€œGay Lesbian and Straight Education Network,â€ or GLSEN, to the post of â€œsafe schools czar.â€ The position is now defunct, ostensibly due to national outrage over Jenningsâ€™ appointment.
In keeping with the thinly veiled goals of B4U-ACT, GLSEN seems to be â€œrunning interferenceâ€ for pedophiles, having tacitly advocated adult-child sex through its â€œrecommended reading listâ€ for kids.
This of no surprise when you consider that one of Jenningsâ€™ ideological heroes was Harry Hay, the â€œfounding fatherâ€ of homosexual activism. â€œOne of the people thatâ€™s always inspired me is Harry Hay,â€ he has said glowingly.
Was Harry Hay fringe? No, not among â€œgayâ€ activists. Heâ€™s an icon. Again, he was just honest. In 1983, while addressing the pedophile North American Man/Boy Love Association, or NAM/BLA, Hay said the following:
â€œIt seems to me that in the gay community the people who should be running interference for NAM/BLA are the parents and friends of gays. Because if the parents and friends of gays are truly friends of gays, they would know from their gay kids that the relationship with an older man is precisely what 13-, 14-, and 15-year-old kids need more than anything else in the world. And they would be welcoming this, and welcoming the opportunity for young gay kids to have the kind of experience that they would need.â€
If he were alive today, Harry Hay would likely have led the movement to â€œfree Kate.â€
And by â€œfree Kate,â€ he would have meant â€“ and they actually mean â€“ â€œfree us.â€
And by â€œfree us,â€ of course, what they really mean is â€œfree children.â€