Imperial Tiger Royce Freeman wins Silver Pigskin Player of the Year

0
royce pigskin
Imperial Tiger Royce Freeman picks up Player of the Year award in San Diego

SAN DIEGO – A record-setting year for CIF San Diego Section football and the Prep Pigskin Report culminated with Royce Freeman of Imperial High School winning the 2013 Silver Pigskin Player of the Year Award.  The announcement was made at the annual Silver Pigskin Gala, televised live on KUSI from the San Diego Hall of Champions.

Freeman, who broke the all-time section rushing record in 2013, became the first player from the Imperial Valley to win the Silver Pigskin, beating out some of the best players in San Diego County, including Thai Cottrell of Oceanside, section career passing leader Anthony Lawrence of Grossmont, Isiah Olave of Eastlake, Jajuan Thomas of San Pasqual and Fred Warner of Open Division champion Mission Hills.

Out of roughly 300 e-ballots distributed to section coaches, local media, PPR staffers, former Silver Pigskin winners and select VIPs, 209 were returned.  Those ballots accounted for 90% of the total count.  The remaining 10% was determined by a Facebook fan poll in which nearly 1,800 Facebook fans cast their vote.   When it was all said and done, Freeman garnered 38% of the total vote, more than double the next highest vote getter, Anthony Lawrence of Grossmont with 16%.   They were followed across the finish line by Warner, Olave, Cottrell and Thomas.  A full vote breakdown appears below.

 

Vote breakdown:

Royce Freeman 38% (85 e-ballots, 171 fan votes)
Anthony Lawrence 16% (33 e-ballots, 231 fan votes)
Fred Warner 13% (26 e-ballots, 334 fan votes)
Isiah Olave 12% (25 e-ballots, 275 fan votes)
Thai Cottrell 11% (22 e-ballots, 287 fan votes)
Jajuan Thomas 10% (18 e-ballots, 471 fan votes)

Total e-ballots: 209
Total Facebook fan votes: 1,769