IMPERIAL â€“ The 2015 California Mid-Winter Fair & Fiesta opened Friday to beautiful and sunny weather.
Many new events and additions to this yearâ€™s fair have sparked renewed interest in one of Californiaâ€™s best fairs.
Saturday winds began to blow, signaling it is â€˜fair time.â€™ Still, the 4H, Grange, and FFA animal events continued. Some rides were stopped due to safety concerns.
Sunday morning a gentle rain began and continued throughout the day. All animal events continued, but the fair was not opened due to the inclement weather and safety concerns. The hard work that the Â youth put into the raising of their animals was evident by the quality of the animals that are at this year’s competition.
The fair will open up 4:00 p.m. Monday and continue through Sunday, March 8.
Below are some facts on the 2015 California Mid-Winter Fair & Fiesta, including new rides, paving, and upgrades to the fair facility.
2015 California Mid-Winter Fair and Fiesta
Dates: February 27 to March 8, 2015
Facebook, Instagram hashtag: #cmwf.
- Facility improvements: $500,000 in facility improvements including:
- New flooring in the Hulsienda
- Newly remodeled bathrooms in the livestock area. They have been reopened after being closed for about 10 years.
- New pavement.
- Giant 120 foot Ferris Wheel that was brought in on four semi-trailers. It has gondola seating and canâ€™t be missed in the evening hours with its 102,000 led lights.
- Block Party: Built from scratch by Helms and Sons Amusements and inspired by very popular building block toys that are popular with youngsters.
- Star Dancer: A thrilling $1 million ride that was made in Italy. There are only six of these in the world.
- Returning Attractions and Events
- Docâ€™s Farm: Children will be allowed to bottle feed a lamb and calf periodically. Also on hand will be a sow and piglets, pigmy goats and other farm animals. Last year, this popular attraction saw births of four baby calves and a baby goat.
- Inspiration Gallery: The former junior building last year was transformed into this appealing exhibit hall for youth exhibits.
- Preble Building: Sports a stunning interactive Ag-Venture using 14 recycled barn doors and other farm equipment.
- Redneck Rodeo March 8: This again will be on the final day and will feature competition featuring heavy equipment used in trucking and farming operations. Last year it had 72 participants.
- Sprint Car Racing March 7: Look for the fun and excitement of this popular spectator sport which last year featured 40 cars. Needs separate ticket available at the fair box office.
- Lots of Entertainment: Four major tribute concerts in the grandstands; Metalachi â€œback by popular demandâ€ and lots of local groups over the 10 days of the fair showcasing their talents throughout the grounds
- Dia de la Familia: Tiranos del Norte will be appearing on the Grandstand Stage with lots of other entertainment in the Plaza de la Cultura.
- Opening day: Senior citizens (with coupon) and veterans and a guest free with proper ID .