May is finally here, which means the summer season is soon near and the laid back vibe of fun and celebration is upon us!
This time of the year is one of my favorites. The sun is out longer, the weather is perfect, and the season of celebrations and fiestaâ€™s has commenced.
I know that typically Memorial Day is the holiday and celebration used to officially launch the start of summer, but I like to start my season off a few weeks earlier with Cinco de Mayo!
Although Cinco de Mayo marks the victory of the Mexican army over the French, it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico. However in America, it is highly celebrated with cultural and heritage events to dinner and tacos with friends.
Personally for me, it is just another excuse to cook and eat awesome Mexican Food (not that I really need one).
This week I thought Iâ€™d go with the inspiration for the festivities I will be involved celebrating on Tuesday. Here I will share some easy recipes you can whip up to take to your Cinco de Mayo party.
1-Â½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Â½ tsp salt
Â¼ tsp cinnamon
Â½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Â½ cup milk
Â¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Â½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of an electric mixture, beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Turn the mixture down to low speed and alternate adding the flour mixture and milk, starting and ending with the flour.
- Use a small cookie scoop to fill each muffin tin and bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the churro bites are baking, melt butter in a bowl and combine cinnamon and sugar in a shallow dish.
- When churro bites are done, immediately remove from the pan and dip in the butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Enjoy immediately or store in airtight container for 2-3 days.
Another tasty and fun dessert to make is Virgin Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes. I like using the Betty Crocker recipe because it starts with a box mix cake and uses strawberry margarita mix to add in the strawberry flavor. Feel free to add some fresh strawberries or lime zest for an added twist.
Whatever your plans may be for this upcoming Tuesday, I hope you are able to take some time off after work and relax a little and enjoy the sweet laid back fun of Cinco de Mayo with some tacos, sombreros and fun!