Local Children’s Art Auction Helps Fund Wounded Warriors

0

Smerdon3

 

BRAWLEY – Last Friday, May 16, parents and children gathered at the Del Rio Country Club in Brawley to view local professional artist Debi Smerdon’s annual art gallery composed of oils, ceramics, water colors and more from her students, to bid on the silent auction of original artwork, partake of fabulous food, all while listening to live stringed music.

 

Artists ranging from 5 through 20 had their artwork on display for art patrons to enjoy and with the chance to bid for pieces through the silent auction. Prices of each piece varied according to size, talent, and interest, 80% of the selling price of each artwork went to the local artist, while the remaining 20% was donated to the Wounded Warriors.

 

“The first four years, the art gallery was held in our home. The setting was more intimate, but our cul-de-sac was full of cars. For the last three years it’s been held at the Del Rio Country Club and more and more people have become interested and have stopped by,” director and artist Deb Smerdon commented about the support of the community. “Our theme this year was origins, so we made family crests and many of the children were surprised and happy to learn where their last names truly came from.”

 

Aside from food and art, Smerdon was chased down by various children for tickets to receive a shaved ice from the truck outside the building.

 

Other children eagerly removed their artwork from the gallery, signifying to all, a willing buyer had purchased their masterpiece, which more times than not, turned out to be the parents.