NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork) â€“ At least 26 people are dead, including 18 children, after a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Friday morning, CBS News reported.
Officials said the gunman is dead and two guns have been recovered. A law enforcement official said the suspect is a 20-year-old man with ties to the school. One of the guns recovered was a .223-caliber rifle, the Associated Press reported.
A second suspect has been taken into police custody, CBS News reported.
At least three people were injured â€” two children and an adult. All three were taken to Danbury Hospital. Their conditions are not known.
Gov. Dan Malloy arrived in Newtown Friday afternoon. His office said several state agencies are working together to coordinate the stateâ€™s response.
President Barack Obama was also briefed about the shooting. Spokesman Jay Carney said the White House would â€œdo everything we can to support state and local law enforcement.â€
Gunfire erupted inside the school around 9:40 a.m. Parents said they received an automatic message that there had been a shooting incident in the district and that schools were being placed on lockdown.
An 8-year-old student told CBS 2â€²s Lou Young he was on his way to the schoolâ€™s office when he saw the gunman.
â€œI saw some of the bullets going down the hall and then a teacher pulled me into her classroom,â€ he said.
As students were being evacuated from the school, they were told to close their eyes and walk fast, WCBS 880â€²s Sean Adams reported.
Schools in surrounding areas were also placed on lockdown.
Danbury Hospital spokesperson Diane Burke told CBS 2 that the hospital is also on lockdown as a precautionary measure. No one is being allowed out of the hospital and other than emergencies, no one is being allowed in, she said.
Lisa Bailey, a Newtown resident with three children in Newtown schools, told CBSNewYork.com, â€œNewtown is a quiet town. Iâ€™d never expect this to happen here. Itâ€™s so scary. Your kids are not safe anywhere.â€