IMPERIAL VALLEY, Calif. – U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials are anticipating an increase in holiday traffic and are providing helpful tips for facilitating travel into the United States. CBP officials are also reminding Mexican border crossing card holders to apply online for the I-94 permit.
1. Travelers can speed up their entry into the United States by applying online for the I-94 application up to seven days prior to their travel. To apply for the I-94 permit online, visit https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov.and enter biographic and travel information and pay the $6 fee.
2. CBP urges travelers to obtain the I-94 document early instead of waiting until the day of travel. Travelers should be prepared to show evidence of their residence, employment, and/or travel plans, if requested by the CBP officer. All traveling family members need to be present when acquiring their I-94 permit.
3. Avoid peak travel times when at all possible. The heaviest traffic periods typically are between the hours of 3 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily at Calexico downtown port. Travelers can get up-to-date hourly border wait time information by visiting the website at https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp.
4. Also, travelers may tune in to the CBP AM 1610 radio station for up-to-date hourly wait times for determining alternative entry routes through the Calexico East or Andrade port of entry.
5. Travelers must be prepared to declare all foreign products acquired including agriculture items such as meats, fruits, vegetables and holiday decorations that may have hay or straw as an ingredient.
6. Travelers must be prepared with their entry documents ready to present to the CBP officer.