Deadline: February 15
Each year the Foundation sponsors an essay writing contest for active members of 4-H clubs across the country.
There are cash prizes for the national winners: 1st Place – $750.00; 2nd Place – $500.00; 3rd Place – $250.00. National and state winners receive a book about honey bees, beekeeping, or honey. All essays must be submitted electronically to Eric Mussen, email@example.com, and are due on or before February 15, 2014.
More info and rules: http://4h.ucanr.edu/files/176473.pdf
Make your essay a hit with these tips from scholarship providers:
- Think before you write. Brainstorm to generate some good ideas and then create an outline to help you get going.
- Be original. The judges may be asked to review hundreds of essays. It’s your job to make your essay stand out from the rest. So be creative in your answers.
- Show, don’t tell. Use stories, examples and anecdotes to individualize your essay and demonstrate the point you want to make. By using specifics, you’ll avoid vagueness and generalities and make a stronger impression.
- Know your audience. The essay is your chance to show how you are the ideal representative.
- Submit an essay that is neat and readable. Make sure your essay is neatly typed, and that there is a lot of white space on the page. Double-space the essay, and provide adequate margins (1″-1 1/2″) on all sides.
- Make sure your essay is well written. Proofread carefully, check spelling and grammar and share your essay with friends or teachers. Another pair of eyes can catch errors you might miss.